Sunday, May 20, 2007

Breaks




This is going to sound odd from a single person, but I think having breaks from even the people we love is important. I know that this woman in the cartoon loves her husband, but especially being around him so much is draining. It doesn't mean that she loves him less because she wants/needs the break. Of course she probably needs it more because of her life of caregiving to him now. Being a caregiver by choice and by need are two very different things. One may grow into the other but they are different in approaches. I think I've really been able to experience that difference more now. I totally get what this cartoon is talking about because I was greatful for the 10-15mins of break time when a therapist came by. Even if I was being productive, I was mentally free for a bit. I'm still trying to learn how to balance at the nursing home since they often fail to meet my expectations of care. I'm just glad I can give them some days/minutes of a break with my own gma to be able to help her eat or be safe.

1 comment:

jenn said...

I completely agree about taking a break! Caregivers by necessity don't always have the option of guaranteed days off each week like caregivers by choice have. Everyone needs a break, and I think it's wonderful that you can go up to the nursing home and assist on occasion. I know they appreciate it. :)