Sunday, March 15, 2009

Now Open/Closing

(yeah I know overload for posts but my mind has really been spinning lately)

Every Sunday when I drive onto the island, I notice the places that have "NOW OPEN" signs. I also pay attention to the ones that say "for sale" but they don't make me as excited. Today, I was thinking about how more places have their "open" signs, but with that I'm wondering if we are really seeing more of a closed feeling again on the island. As everyone's trash is no longer on the street, doors and fences replaced, wiring for electronics in place, and island activites less promoted, are we being less open and loving to our neighbors? I felt guilty of it when I didn't even say hello to the other person getting gas at the gas station today. Such a simple gesture but I was too wrapped up in myself to be able to say hello. This is NOT what I want for myself or the island.
Yet, in the comfort of my church, I was excited with the hope, love, and care that is there this week. It didn't bother me one time to have to climb around to try to work at my desk. I enjoyed knowing these people had come to help make a difference for Christ on the island through so many different ways. Seeing how much had already been done was such an encouragement. It makes me want to be a better servant of God. Why must it take a mission group to remind me or the additude to have? Those women who were sleeping in my office were tired but very willing to do more and adapt. I love that spirit! I need to help to instill that spirit into others. Now to pray to figure out how.

No comments: