Monday, August 15, 2005

First Day of School

Sadly this was a difficult to complete day it seemed for all four of us. A teen annoyed, a teacher in traffic, a elder bruised, and me with too many changes/mishaps. What a way to begin the new year.

The changes are the much earlier time and the cost of gas. Thankfully I've been trying to train my brain some during the last few weeks, but leaving at the time I used to get up is a challenge. I am the one that was able to get 10 and 11am classes through almost all of my college years. (of course Meredith would be the one that screwed up that record!) So I'm learning to adapt by getting to bed earlier and changing my routine somewhat. The cost of gas really shocked me when I went to fill up my tank yesterday. I had $20 on my Wal~mart card and it didn't fill up the tank on my little car! UGH. So I have to be more creative now and entertaining my grandma as we are at her home...we can't just watch television all day. hopefully the prices will actually go back down after labor day! I know that we certainly will be doing more walks when the temperature gets less. Just difficult knowing we are needing to stay in doors. (perhaps think pre-paid GAS cards for my birthday...isn't that sad?)
The mishaps were the rabbits being out free. I enjoy animals but needing to be responsible for so many gets annoying especially when I think that the owner could have prevented this escape. The rain meant we couldn't sit on the porch today to watch the school kids coming home. (it was also a blessing for it cooled things for a moment) Grandma needed two baths today and she kept walking without her walker. I got very frustrated with this. I truly hate who I am when I have this frustration.
Soooo how do I apply what I need to do so the entire year doesn't bring me down? I gotta use that time before grandma gets up in the morning to give God control of my day. I'm gonna start doing some biblical reading there in the morning. I'm also gonna make sure I sing a couple of songs and give him praise for the privilege of being called to help my grandma. Then on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I am going to have grandma have a small God focus time with me. I know she will not remember it but I think that for me doing it with her it will help us have a better day together. She doesn't pray in the inspiring way that she used to but somehow I still believe that God listens to her pray and answers her more speedily.
Time to get some sleep for Day 2.

1 comment:

el guapo said...

Hope your grandma is doing ok, I remember how it was when I took care of my grandma, she had cancer. Now I'm helping with my uncle, he had a stroke in february '05. He can care for himself for the most part, just on disability and can't drive or work anymore as a mechanic.
gas prices are a real pain in the butt, if I have to go anywhere within a mile of the house on hwy 6 I ride my bicycle. Take care of yourself, enjoyed your blog