Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Oh Moms*

*this is not about Sarcastic Sarah even if the rest of the nation is wanting to think her being a mom makes her unqualified.

I finally was a diligent daughter today and gave my mother the address of the nursing home Gma is at. Well, I actually left a message with my daddy. He tells me that my mother has cried a few times since hearing the news about IKE being compared to Carla. For a large part of my life, I grew up hearing the stories of how they had to get new furniture, pictures that were lost, and who they met while cleaning up from Carla. She forgets that they have done so much more to try to protect the area since then. Also, we will be safe if we leave. It is also just stuff. I wish my mother could grasp that she doesn't have to be fearful or sad about a hurricane coming. We go into circles like this alot...it would be so much better if mothers could worry about things worth worrying about.
Through these blogging things it has been interesting to read about people from my past Galveston life who are all SAHM. Even stranger to see people who I went to some level of education with who are SAHM. It is something that I don't understand the desire. My mom has worked throughout my life. The fact that she worked has not had a negative impact on my life. She has worked different shifts, but always tried to be involved. When I was in Kindergarten, she worked the 3-11shift. She would have lunch with me then take me to school. (it was 1/2 day back then) When she did home health, she went to those night event things and had great work stories to tell. When we first moved to AR, she had/got to work the 3-11 shift again. We had this legal pad where we would write notes back and forth to each other on the days we didn't see each other. She was doing what she loved doing, so it made her be a better mother. It makes NO sense to me to see educated women not do what they love and went to school to do. It urks me that women bash other women for having a job and a family OR not having a job and having a family. Mothers truly could be an amazing force of power, if y'all could just put the pettiness aside and see that each has different paths...and that is ok! I know I'm still working on loving those who have been cut off from the outside world because of such devotion to the husband and children. I truly do not believe that God designed us to not be connected and supportive of each other. However, I have finally learned that God did not enable be to be the one who could constantly reach out to those who have chosen another path.
What does it take to get moms and women to not have the same thoughts and values, but to be supportive for being who we are?

1 comment:

Toni said...

She was doing what she loved doing, so it made her be a better mother. It makes NO sense to me to see educated women not do what they love and went to school to do.

Bunny trailed on over here. I have to say that your comments above came across as contradictory to me (and perhaps I missed your intent). On one hand, you stated your mom was a better mother for having worked outside the home, something she loved to do. I realize this is true for many women and I respect that. We all must persue what brings us fullfillment and there is no "one size fits all."

I am an educated woman. I hold two college degrees and my registered nursing license. I specialized in cardiac care and worked full time on a telemetry unit under Cleveland Clinic protocol prior to leaving the work force by choice, to stay at home and raise my children. I held a second job in the airline industry as well, a job that was fascinating to me, and a job that I loved.

But my own personal conviction is such that NO job is more worthy, rewarding or important to me than to raise my children (speaking only of my experiences in the workforce and not of all working women here).

The window to treasure them and to impact their hearts and minds while they are young is very small. There are seasons to savor and this is the season of staying home to raise my children. I am deeply fullfilled in that role. I'm not sure how it makes no sense to you, but I do hope you are able to glean from the perspective of someone whose views do not line up with your own.

I personally believe that as women, we can "have it all." But it's okay (absolutely okay) if we don't desire to have it all at the same time. Whether I am in the workforce or at home, I am still an educated woman who is capable of making choices that best suit me. To that end, my heart's desire is to stay home to raise my children. It's a deeply satisfying experience. In contrast, my work, while fullfilling in its own way, did not begin to compare (not a generalized statement to encompass other mothers nor to judge them for experiencing their roles differently, but rather only speaking for myself here). There will be time for another season all too soon. But for today, being at home is my personal top rung.
Blessings,
~Toni~