Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Duck Influence

"The world would undoubtedly be a better place if each and every one of us had a rubber duck somewhere in our life." ~Jon Wright

or at least the world could be a better place if each and every one of us could have the experience of learning like a duck and being able to truly love those different from us.
One odd thing about living here that should probably freak me out is that I have only met one other white person in my apartment complex. She was an old woman that asked me for a cigarette on my first Sunday morning here. The rest of my neighbors have been kind and friendly. The children have asked me to play with them but were polite when they saw me reading on the porch and asked first if they were disturbing me. I know they are ducks yet but I have learned they some of them have moms that love ducks. How funny...doesn't it make one wonder? If you looked at my place you'd think I have too many ducks. And I might agree at times since no room is free of them. But perhaps they can serve as a reminder that it takes work but people can and do love each other just because they are people. At least, that it what I want them to remind me.

No comments: