Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Gift --- a "used" duck

First of all I'm shocked with all these duck posts and seriously I know that soon these will not be the way I base everything. Even though my home seems to be overly ducky. At least yellow is a bright color that makes us smile and think of the sun.
This afternoon one of the girls that I've made friends with in the complex knocked on my door. I almost didn't answer since I was in cleaning mode with the cleaning look on. Thankfully, I was smart and looked out the key hole and decided to go ahead and open the door. This little girl held up a plastic bag with a rubber ducky in it and said this is for you cause I know you like ducks. (ok...crapola my eyes are getting watery) She came inside and showed her friend around my place. Then she asked if I was gonna open my present. (she asked with such excitement.) I had neglected to do so since I could see it through the bag. (lesson learned there!) Took it out of the bag and we placed it in a well viewable place on the shelf. Then she said she didn't want to disturb me or bother me just to bring me the gift. She has such wonderful manners! I told her I was proud of her and gave her a little hug. Even though they are disappointed and surprised that I don't have children, some how they still want to be around me. I love this!
Now I've been given many ducks and some of them by some of y'all. This is one of those that goes into the treasured gift category. It may be scuffed up, but the heart in which it was given touches my soul.
The point to ponder: How shall I help to touch a smile on her soul in return?

No comments: