Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Here is my number...USE IT

Tuesday night I went to the nursing home to discover that Grandma had had most likely a mini-stroke that early morning. NO ONE HAD CALLED ANYONE ALL DAY! I am still pissed about that. It took about 40mins before anyone finally talked to me to inform me a little bit. During that time she was unresponsive overall, had her jaw open, and was very hot. Other that wanting to know why no one had called me, I kept thinking how many people die near their birthday. That is one of the things I've learned in my job. I just kept bawling every time that thought came to my head. I couldn't get Pam on the phone, no words from the staff yet, and grandma of course couldn't explain what was going on with her. When the nurse was finally updating me some it didn't seem like she really knew much to say. I tried to help get her comfortable for sleeping and then left. Called mother to let her know what I knew but she didn't really convey the concern I expected her to show. Pam finally called me back and said she'd talk to administration today. The nurse called me after speaking with the doctor (shocking) but mainly to say the doctor we be there in the morning.
So this morning I went to the NH and am told so many different things. The saddest thing is that the Dr. will not be in. What the freak? I'm there for four hours trying to make sense of things. I kept grandma fairly engaged most of that time. She needed fluids so I made sure to get them down her so they could do another test. I asked to be called if it was hard and I'd come back. I said call me when the blood results come in. No such luck. Tonight when I went up there she hadn't been given the extra drinks that were in her room. She thankfully had been changed at least. She was warm again, but the temp didn't register. I may have to take it tomorrow night to ease my mind cause I don't trust most of that staff. UGH! I found out that they had gotten the blood work results back. Grandma was about the same as last night, but she was alittle bit more responsive. Still answers were contradictory or non-existent. How hard is it to give the family the truth?
Hopefull, I'll get rest tonight and tomorrow there will be improvement. Perhaps, Paul and Terry will get their butts there and see that we need to move her. Mostly, I would just like it if her birthday she could at least be able to sing again.

No comments: