Wednesday, February 22, 2006

There When You Need Me

"I'm your friend. I'll be there for you when you need me." Isn't it funny how people say this? Oddily, we forget who determines that need. Often, we mean when we think the other needs us. Being willing to be there when it is difficult is when the true friendship arises. Many times in the past couple of years I've had people say that they will be there for me when I need them. The stupid part of that statement is that they are referring to the funeral.
A funeral is just like a wedding...a stupid ceremony. With a wedding the special stuff is the prep time and the cleaning up stuff. A friend doesn't just attend. With a funeral it is the before death help and the clean up after. A friend doesn't just send a card. Supporting a friend in her career is done the consistent encouragement and willingness to listen to the painful times. A friend doesn't just celebrate the finished work.
During my time down here three times stand out to me where the being there for the friend was real. One was a phone call that I received as my friend was driving home. She needed someone to listen to about fun life stuff, so I talked for about 20minutes till she got home to her husband. I was tired and love to share heart things with her, but I needed to be there for her. Another time was when I came into the Tuna House after a crappy day of taking gma to the doctor and dealing with incompetent nurses. I lived with 3 nurses. Thankfully, they were home this night. I told them I needed to be with people and be loved, but I needed them to not talk about their hospital work. I curled up next to them on the couch and we laughed some and they reminded each other to not be medical. The other one was with Rita because I didn't really know what I needed. The offer for someone to go get gas for me with I rested a little more was really being there for me when I didn't even know it.
I'm going to work on making sure I only say this statement when I mean it.

No comments: