Friday, March 25, 2005

Questions from a Cottey First Year

These questions are posted on the blog of a current Cottey student. I think it is interesting how it kinda applies for me also. I wanted to consider these questions for myself and with how it relates for my days at Cottey also.

What do I want from life? To follow with will of God. Yeah that is the answer I'm susposed to give. I also want to be happy through that following God. I know that God has the best plan for me but trusting that isn't always easy.
What do I hope to achieve before I die? I would like to have a career that God and I are proud of. I would like to see reconciliation with my family. I want the five people that are on my list of people I worry about their salvation to let me know that they have found God.
What kind of an impact am I hoping to make with my presence on this earth? (see above) I want to know that my career has made a difference in children finding and deepening relationships with God. I want more than two people to see past my facade and get to know the real Janna.
Where do I want to be in ten years? If this is God's plan, I want to have my Masters and be working in Nashville or something similar to Lifeway in 10yrs.
Where do I want to be next year? I seriously hope that I do not move again till it is time to move back to seminary after I move at the end of April. Spiritually I would like to be back(or greater) to where I was Feb.7, 2000.
What about this summer, in two months, where do I want to be then? This is a big question for me also since there will be no close friends at my church when most will be moving in May. I need to know what is going to be the best for me mentally, spiritually, financially in the church I am apart of in June. I would LOVE for my church to license me after hearing them offer to do so for an unknown male.
Why did I choose Cottey, and do those reasons still stand today? The reason that I went to Cottey are in another blog. I know I didn't make the friendships that I had hoped to have made during my time there. I also realize that is partly do to my own decisions and personality as well as things I couldn't control. It did help me alot with dealing with relationships with women through learning that there is a greater acceptance level possible. If I could do Cottey over again, I would. I would do it like to do it differently so that I do have the more lasting friendships. But while I don't have that connection in strong relationships to one or two, I do have a connection that I cherish to fellow alums and PEOs.
Have my experiences as a Cottey frosh (baby blue) been enough for me or do I want to stick it out and come back next year (go Ducks!) despite the cost? This was a hard question for me. Sadly not because of the cost but because our class had become so divided over traditions. I also wasn't aure I could belong in my suite since they were such players. Sticking it out was possible because of the events of my calling in April. I knew I was where I belonged despite the struggles. I needed to learn more so I was to stay.
Will a state school be enough for me?Can I get the same education from a state school that I can get at Cottey? Book wise the same information can be obtained, but the smallness of the school allows leaning on such a greater level. Most students hate music appreciation for it is usually a large and boring class for them. For me it was good and I learned since we only had two in the class. Some of the professors took a real interest in the lives of their students. Even the President of the College knows many of the students by first name. When I transferred to another private women's college, I had been a little more prepared than some of my fellow students in some areas. State schools can be good things..it is all about finding a place of belonging. Perhaps we belong and we don't know it.

No comments: