Thursday, February 03, 2005

Superbowl is Coming

one thing that frustrates me in my life is that I'm not doing much local ministry thing. this is of course do to so many reasons. but this weekend that isn't true. Southern Baptists do something very cool for the Superbowl. They open up the doors and provide warm bowls of Soup or Chili for the homeless. They retitle it Souperbowl. they use it as a time to witness but it isn't one of those annoying times when you have to listen to a boring sermon before you get what you need physically. When I was in New Orleans, I enjoyed everytime that I went to the Brantley Center. There I had conversations with some of the homeless, and it was nice to work along side some of them. I'm not as comfortable in Galveston in sitting down for a conversation, but that may also be that I lack the desire to have small talk about football. Which is why I got a kick out of an advice piece on MSN. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3347706?GT1=6083 Thankfully I have found a way I can still use what I can do to help this ministry during the Souperbowl. Thanks to the ice cream machine, that my sister gave me a few years ago, I am able to offer them all a small dish of homemade icecream. Now, I had no idea this is actually that special of a thing. But when I was told that ice cream is a rare thing they get from the shelters in the area, I understood this is what I'd do when I was here. I don't need to bring yet another pan of cornbread. This year we are going to make a little more so that I don't have to be skimpy on the servings. This will be good also because it will allow some fellowship time with those that make it with me.
Thought to Consider: Do I daily look for the way I am to add to blessing others using the talents, abilities, and gifts God has given me? Am I willing to find other ways of fellowship to allow easier sharing of the heart? Yes and Yes...just learning how.

No comments: