Sunday, February 20, 2005

Why Cottey?

Lately, I've been questioned some and questioning some myself about why I went to Cottey and why it is special to me. Especially since I've battled some of the annoying stereotypes about Cottey as I was a student and as an alumnae. I didn't apply for Cottey because I hated boys, was interested in women, or came from a snobby family. Cottey didn't make me hate boys, become a lesbian, or make me think I'm better than others.
I applied to Cottey because it was selective. I needed a challenge, and I knew it wouldn't be automatic acceptance like most state and baptist schools. In fact, I was kinda cocky about being the only one of three to be accepted from my high school. Two other students applied but not accepted. From the brochures, I was drawn to the very small class size, the idea of preparing here for another school, "free" private music lesson, and somewhat the distance. I took my application at the same time that I saw it for the first time. Upon walking around the campus and sleeping in the suites, I knew this is where I wanted to be, where I needed to be. All the other colleges I looked at during my senior year, I only looked at as transfer colleges. The morning that I received a call to tell me I'd been accepted to Cottey, I was almost late for high school because I was so excited. Some how I knew it is where I belonged.
Cottey stays in my heart for so many reasons. This is the place that I had the fewest Christian friends, yet I grew the most in my faith during those two years. To have a senior who loved me as me despite that I was a baptist was a wonderful lesson, for she was an atheist and lesbian. I learned how to have conversations with people that I seemingly had nothing in common with. I learned that respect is given till it is really needed to be taken away. Having an honor code was something that wasn't just a document but a way of life. Interestingly, it was also challenged because of the honor to be shone to friends in traditions. I grew strength in being able to say no to being involved in something. Watching for the outsides taught me much about how to relate to others. I learned how to really have fun during stressful times. Holidays weren't just about going to be with family for their was family right there. After a night in Wichita, I learned better how I should protect my friends. Secrets became more real and knowing which to really keep secret. I accepted my call to full-time ministry while at Cottey. While many times I wish I had stayed in Rosemary Suite, for my gpa would most likely have been much better. I'm grateful for all that I learned and experienced.
I'm thankful that I have a network of alums and PEOs who smile and support me because I am a duck. I made a phone call the other day and I was a nervous wreck till I learned the person on the other end was a PEO. Cottey is special for one of the things I came away with is that I can be honest and be loved even if we disagree. (no things weren't all perfect at Cottey...in fact there was much struggle and battles for my class...but overall there was unity)
thing to ponder: What one nonacademic thing makes Cottey or your college so special? for me it was the getting together to listen to or do a serenade..didn't matter about fights or anything...the singing made us together for a few moments...we were part of the sisterhood

No comments: