Thursday, May 22, 2008

Aggie Trip Part 1

I refer to this trip as the Aggie trip because overall I was going to visit Aggies. Now the family I saw in TN can be included because they are AGGrIEcultural. it just seemed like a good way to label the trip for me. I also could have called it the Tuna Trip because of the Tunettes I saw on the journey. Anyways...
After loading up in the non-AC at my apartment on Saturday night and Sunday morning, I made a quick stop at the funeral home to get my shoes. Then I was on the road for a warm drive to the 1/2 way point of the trip. The traffic flow was great and the cops weren't a problem even while going at almost 80mph at some points. I really tried NOT to do that (for real) because my daddy told me over and over the the best fuel conservation is when not going at really high speeds. I'd forgotten what it was like to drive across the long bridges of swamp land in LA. There are so many people who go park under the bridges to get into the water. I was intrigued by that the first time I drove through LA many years ago. The saddest part of Day 1 was making the right decision of not staying on I-10 to go to NOLA.
Sad Decision
I teared up a little as I thought about how much I love that city and my memories from there. Driving that much out of the way wouldn't have been smart for time or gas money. I was on a mission to get to destination 1.
Entering Mississippi to go North was chartering into new territory. You could see where winds had damaged trees at some points but most of the road side views were filled with lush trees. I learned that there is a NASA place in southern MS. Unless you are a NASA employee (Megan?) you can only enter the grounds from I-10. Of course it was closed to be public for mother's day. Still just odd to learn of a NASA spot when coming from Clear Lake area. The welcoming place in MS was helpful in confirming my original plan of staying in Hattiesburg and told me to check out the flowers at the University. Oddily, she didn't offer to help me find a motel room. I stopped to get a picture of the sign and then thought to get pictures of flowers for Jenn. The security guard was a very southern gentleman who was very concerned about me traveling alone. I said it is ok since i'm a grown up...of course I was rolling my eyes while getting in the car to head North again. I had to stop for gas before getting to Hattiesburg. Sadly the Walmart gas was closed. There were no postcards to buy at that Walmart or Shell Gas Station. I even went to the Dollar Tree there cause I though having a nice smelling candle would be cool for the motel. They had nothing Mississippi there. This is just the beginning of learning Texans have much more pride in their state.
I made it into my chosen motel room by 7:05pm. Fairly good for I was able to find Survivor quickly. I unloaded the car during commercials. Since I was unableS to get a ducky on my toe, I painted a little daisy on it that night. Sleep was wonderful that night for I had no agendas to get done in my sleep. Still my bed looked normal in the morning. The next morning I had the good breakfast at the motel...yeah for warm breakfast and yogurt! I got directions to the University from the front desk to go see the flowers. It was a little bit of a drive down there, but it was nice driving through the campus. College is just a great thing! I really do have compassion for people who don't get the experience of going to college. I get tingles just being on the campus even if I didn't attend that school. Parking was tough, but it allowed me a good walk. The gardeners were very friendly and were totally willing to take pictures for me. Then I was on a mission to wash the bugs of LA off my car. It was just nasty to me. I took a picture of it as proof to Carmen who thought I didn't need to waste time with washing my car. Finally I had to start heading North again.
This ride was filled with talking to my dad, looking at the alabama cities, trying to calmly listen to Rush and Hannity, singing fun songs, and keeping the curls alive in my hair! The Alabama welcome center stop let me know that I was traveling during National Tourism Week. They were very friendly in the building. Where I parked though had the funny marker about defending their rights. I didn't really make any stops in the state, but I thought it was interesting to drive around Birmingham and read some of the History on the signs. I grabbed a late lunch in GA. I had Hardee's and it wasn't as yummy as I had recalled from being a teen. It was pretty there in the mountains though. I also finally got connected with Carmen again to be able to let her know where I was. I had to stop again in 15mins because I was finally in TN. I got possible activities to do with Carmen and my family. Then it was on to Knoxville. Justin did a great job with directions of getting me to the Baba home.

Carmen, Justin, and I simply had some subway while we chatted. We did some picture looking, memory recalling, and good giggling. Justin had a project due, so we tried not to bother him. We got to make my bed together, and then she said the happiest thing! She told me that if I wanted to come climb in bed with her in the morning I could. I think I gave a little clap! When I was planning this trip, I had three goals to accomplish while visiting with Carmen. 1)Get some new sneakers 2)Get a replacement Rocky Top keychain 3)Have some snuggle time in bed with Carmen and talk to "jonathan ian" in her belly I heard Justin leave that morning (way WAY tooo early). I checked my email and then headed to climb into bed with Carmen. This is one of my favorite Carmen memories. We talked there for about an hour. Too bad we didn't have other Tunettes with us. Then we got ready for the day. Neither of us really had much breakfast. Our first stop was to the Recycling Center. This was was crowded! WAY TO GO KNOXVILLE! Doesn't Carmen look so cute in her top? Then we were talking about normal breakfasts that we have on our way to Target. When we got to Target the pregnant woman was on a mission to get to the Pop-Tarts. As we then walked through the store looking for postcards and at baby stuff, she ate two of the packages. The pregnancy cravings are just so fun to observe. Then it was time to buy shoes. UGH! I hate tennis shoe shopping which is why I thought getting a friend to help would make it better. Finally, I was able to get a pair and I got two other fun shoes. Carmen had people in her life she could mention about many of the shoes. Then we went to Lifeway, but didn't get anything.
Finally it was time for lunch. We went to the Apple Cake Tea Room. This is girly place that actually had stuff I'd willingly eat. It was a cute place in a log cabin. The chicken salad was REALLY fresh. Then we went to a baby/kid resale shop across the street. They had this interesting Smores maker that would have been good to get for the Christmas party, but sadly it wasn't working. Carmen got to find some cute bigger boy clothes too. She was still in search of this bag, so we went this big christian book store. Sadly still no bag to find...she needs Scribbles. Then we were tuckering out, so we went back to her home. Surprise gifts to find! Someone had given her tons baby boy clothes. There was even a brand new soccer outfit! Then we watched this DRAMA. We had to finish watching it just because it was so disturbing. Then we rested for a moment. The sprinkles were beginning then. We went to Wal~mart to still look for postcard and get dinner to make. We saw a COPS episode in progress as we were walking to the car. Carmen kept walking to the car, but I stayed back to watch the beating and pulling. It took three big guys to take down the kinda scrawy guy! Then we drove home in the rain. Carmen mentions there is a guy in her bible study class that I might like. When Justin came home, he was very happy about the right colors on the soccer outfit. We got dinner made. While making dinner, I look at the fridge and ask if the guy she was talking about is on it. He was! Hummm...then she begins saying how he may not be a good match! Justin got to have his first slice of Totinos Pizza. This used to be a Carmen staple, so we had to make sure he had it. We played SET with Justin. After playing Carmen asks Justin what he thinks about me talking to the guy. Carmen wants us to go to lunch with the guy the nest day. I totally don't recall what Justin said! Poor guy was so sleepy after being up to do his project. Carm and I stayed downstairs talking for a little bit including getting more insight about this boy that she really is convincing herself of now that wouldn't be right for me. (do all of you english major folks cringe at that last sentence?)
The next morning while Carmen was at bible study, I tried again to find postcards. Tennessee must not be as proud of their state because you can find postcards in so many boring places here! I got some very cute duckie Christmas soaps and....postcards at CVS. Carmen and I went back to the house in the rain. We simply talked some more intense topics for awhile (of course, I got my Wednesday call from Jill who forgot I was on vacation), before heading to Babies 'R Us to look around and meet one of her friends. At lunch, I asked her friend about the guy from her church and this woman actually seemed to shrudder! Soo lets just come to the conclusion that it was a nice smiley thought of Carmen's but intelligence took over and this will not be pursued. After lunch with some yummy pie, it was time to head to Hulls and Byers.
I really loved my visit with Carmen even as simple as it seemed. The point was to see and spend time with Carmen! Justin and Carmen to have a decent amount of maroon in their home, so they are keeping the Aggie love. Her phone even plays the War Cry. Who knew it would be so much fun just talking again together...isn't it amazing to have friends like that?

No comments: