Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bye, Bye May

Although being in Texas means, I have to run the AC every day when May comes. There are some really great things about this month. Most of them involve traditions and presents!
May is the time for so many birthdays of family and friends. When I was little, one of the reason I used for saying I was adopted was birthdays. My mom, 1/2 sister, and sister all have May birthdays, since I didn't I was sure I was adopted. (oh yes the mind of a child) I actually put thought and effort into gift giving this year. While I'm still holding onto one of Jerrese's gifts, I do think I did ok with all of them. It was easier when I thought more about being creative than spending a certain amount. Of course, learning about new places in Texas, getting pics to frame, and sharing a heart moment is a little creative too! All the friend birthdays have been crazy. Yes I know next month will actually be worse for close friend bithdays, but really card shopping can just be tough sometimes!
May is also a time for graduations, which I love! Mit graduated from medical school, Scott from seminary (ugh...before me), and Joy Ruth from kindergarten! Sadly, I only was able to go to one ceremony. I really do enjoy graduations. The cap and gown, the music, the celebration, the pictures, the inside memories, and even the speeches sometimes. When I heard about all three of them, I knew i was going to try to do something to help celebrate (even Scott).
This month has allowed for a few conversation gems with Joy Ruth, the honored graduate. When I talked to Jerrese about her birthday plans, Joy stomped her feet and said in her angry voice "that is not fair, I don't like eetalion." Jerrese quickly responded to her that the children weren't going for that birthday celebration. Then, Joy responded that she wasn't going to invite Jerrese to her birthday. As the perfect Aunt that I am, I just giggled on the other end of the phone. Another phone conversation, Joy answered the phone but told me I couldn't talk because she was taking me to her room. She described the whole trip from the living room to her bed room where she closed the door. When she said that I could talk again because now Daniel can't hear, I had to ask why it mattered if her brother heard. In her exasperated voice, she says, "Aunt Janna, you know." Yep, I am the perfect Aunt with all knowing powers who just laughed at that. Then today, I called to see if mother was out at the farm because I didn't get to sing Happy Birthday earlier in the day to her. Joy answered the phone. Everyone else was outside, but again "we" had to go from the living room to her bedroom to talk. I don't know why should couldn't have turned down/paused the Hannah Montana she was watching. After talking about the big graduation she had. I asked about grandma's birthday. Joy says "I got Grandma Judy plastic flowers and she loved them!" Clearly, she was proud of her gift that she gave, and my mother has clearly become the grandma that accepts all gifts in love.
The worst part of May is that it usually has many good-byes. I hate good-byes. I don't believe all the stuff that gets said even though I usually really want to when it is being said. In a very unmature way, I tend to prefer for relationships to end through a division instead of a goodbye. This is not the way it has happened for two families that I've grown to love down here. First, my friend Shannon is moving to Corpus. It sucks. She and I were similar in game play, food likes, secret sharing, many religious views, and lived within 25 mins of each other! We became close through a board gaming group that had nothing to do with faith, church, or religion. Yet, our friendship has greatly influenced my faith. Often, I feel surrounded by people who don't approach the way similarly to me or who admit beliefs similar to mine. Shannon is oddily someone who does make me feel less alone down here...even more amazing to me that I get to share this with a SAHM. I will miss reading Dora, having tea parties, and playing Lucky Duck with Brooke. I will miss getting to teach Sydney how to beat her big sister in games! Then, my reconnection family is moving to Longview. I met the mom and eldest son while I was at FBC-G. I didn't really get to know them because I couldn't mentally and spiritually function with all those women that only wanted to talk about being SAHMs, while I was watching someone die and very much wanting to be working a real job. My friend, Lori, was training with some of these women for the marathon. She kept telling me how much she was enjoying getting to know them even though it was tough sometimes with so much talk about children. Well, she stayed close to one of them. When Jillian's middle son was very ill, she called Lori to ask for help finding a sitter. Lori, quickly sent me. Now, I've worked some for this Nanny service that does babysitting as well, so I'm prepared to go into homes of people that I really don't know. Little did I know that as I entered into this home for a few hours, my heart would be changed. I was only with two of the boys that night, but it was a full night of dinner, homework, bath, stories, game, and prayer. This experience was so wonderful because of amazing parenting. Jillian didn't really show the fear she must have been feeling. The next day at work, I thank Lori for sending me. Then, I find out that I am wanted back by the children and Jillian. Now, we begin having mini-conversations before and after my time with the kids. Then it is time to do Lori's shower, and totally giving God the credit...Jillian and I get to work on it together. Now this woman is organized beyond measure and learns her community. She was an amazing default leader of the shower (hooray, I was mediator). I loved her humor and approach to handling things. When she told me that her eldest was being baptised, I began asking then for a copy of the DVD. This woman is a marvelous SAHM who I would even not negatively call a Proverbs 31 woman...she truly does as much as that woman and never do I picture her as the negative baptist version of the Proverbs 31 woman. Now, I honestly don't know if I am going to miss the boys or her more! Thankfully, she sent her blog to me (which I've stayed awake reading the entire thing since) so I'll be able to keep up with her, Austin, Thomas, and Andrew. I may even finally learn how to spell their last name!
Some of my Shannon special memories: creepy crawly game night, moving with Brooke, "um is this where the game party is?", SNORTA, a princess party, Apples to Apples again Joe, my keys, prayer time.
Some of my G-family special memories: spell but (hehehe), washcloths in the shower, lets go to Bennigans, garage code, Austin praying, "Jonathan" baptism, playdoh time, rodeo or Janna (seriously still shocks me), the cat likes me, watchin Dr.Suess, bath invite from Thomas, tarter sauce shared with Andrew, pretty toes, teens and sushi

Thanks for a memorable month y'all! (yeah I know I still have to finish the trip report)

No comments: