Friday, October 29, 2004

Day 18: Lifeboats - so heart will go on and on

Ahhhh yes, talking about true fellowship. First what a nice reminder with Matt. 18:20. Generally this verse is only used for prayer times so it good to remember that it is applicable to small group meetings also. While a male wrote this chapter, I'm curious about the male viewpoint with this for fellowship involves so much sharing of the heart. I know that I tend to back away from that also since it appears weaker, so it would be interesting to know how males approach this chapter. This chapter details what is real fellowship.
Authenticity - where the gut level stuff is shared. not just the people I can talk about Survivor with, but the people who can know why I last lost my temper. I know that I have a tough time listening to those who I not seen be real. Perhaps that is why I like this Sunday night testimonies right now for it is allowing some people to be real. with the history of this church and my own history, it is a scary thing to take the risk of sharing a true self.
Mutuality - this is the area that I'm having to learn the most in. As a single person it is a little more difficult to find and keep relationships of mutuality. The difficulty is because the new life long partner comes into the friend's life so the sharing of things that matter tend to move out of the relationship. While this is good and right for the pair, I'm still learning the balance from my role. On a basic level is the example of sending cards/emails, usually I try to make sure this is done mutually and with a good amount of feed back. in conversations, I don't want to play 20 questions because I want some of the give and take. An encouragement in this section was "we are not responsible for everyone in the Body of Christ, but you are responsible to them." So I think Lara should still be someone I do my darnedest to love but not feel guilty for the choices she makes.
Sympathy - UGH...the biblical word is sympathy yet all those psychology classes made me be tested on the word empathy also! That sucks! This is usually where people talk positively about their small groups. It is the times that someone gets socks, sunnyD, and a coloring book for me when I'm stuck with G-ma at the hospital. The monetary part of it wasn't as important as the fact of the smiles and thoughtfulness to provide the love. It isn't about the fixing the situation, it is about the loving in the situation.
Mercy - "Fellowship happens when mercy wins over justice." The FAITH verse that I struggled with the understand of application with was James 2:13 "for judgement is without mercy." It is the role of God to give our judgement, but it is the role of the small group to give the mercy. When trying to forgive someone it can be very difficult at times, I guess that is why Warren said it takes "massive amounts of mercy and grace." I know this also includes those that are no longer with me. Having to let God take the space of my heart where I've had the anger to those who I've felt hurt and pain from. Sadly my human mind thinks the resolution could be more painful than the retalialtion sometimes. And I also don't always like that it is God's role to judge and not mine.
to think on for a bit: "If someone hurts you repeatedly, you are commanded by God to forgive them instantly, but you are not expected to trust them immediately, and you are not expected to continue allowing them to hurt you."
The Question to Consider: The step to take today to be more genuine with a believer is what we've been attempting to do for a few days. It is to make a date with her and spend time together. I also need to make sure that my friend who lives far away knows she is loved despite the struggles she is also facing.

No comments: