Sunday, October 31, 2004

Day 21 Sinners Wanted:Apply Within

The church should be unified so that people will see that love and want to be apart. But ain't that trick since we are all just a bunch of sinners. What a tangled web of mystery and challenge! Awww but when we are spun with unity more want to be apart of us and God wants others to be apart of us. I know I loved being in groups like this.
"Unity is the soul of fellowship. Destroy it, and you rip the heart out of Christ's body." what amazing imagery there to remind us of how important it is to work for unity together. I don't think I'd ever heard before that it was our unity that Christ prayed for in the garden. that does seem to have an impact. so we do have to work to have unity and keep it.
*Focus on what we have in common, not our differences. ok...got it. learn to work around the differences. OPPS! I turned the page. "When we focus on personalities, preferences, interpretations, styles, or methods, division always happens." GRRRRR... sooo often this is made to be one of the important things. this is often how we mess up the important things. I know that it gets under my skin when there are misinterpretations, and the SBC is famous for them. So I'll guess this is something to work on.
*be realistic in expectations. I do know this one. I know we aren't all perfect. I know not to run if at all possible. I know that I'm not to just walk out on the conflict. I'm thankful (even with the too long of drive) that God has me really doing this with FBCG instead of being hidden and content some place else. There is a quote from Bonhoffer that says we are to give thanks for our church so that the church can grow even if it is in a negative state. This was a reminder view for me to speak positively about this church again.
*choose to encourage rather than criticize. if you catch me judging you have the right and hopefully will stop it. I tend to not do this much because my sister got more of that trait (thankfully God is helping her with that.) but if I am doing it STOP me.
*refuse to listen to gossip. when the mess began about the hiring of a music person the sides were drawn and the gossip began. The night that lies were said about missing people I listened to the gossip and then took it to the ones that were missing. When I was going to the funeral home, I wanted to call Pete to make him say those words infront of the others. I knew the gossip was wrong yet I was sooo mad that I didn't care. I think we want to listen to gossip because of the power we seem to have. I know that I learned in Junior High the quote about people who talk about others also talking me. Sometimes I've have asked people what they say about me behind my back and when they are asked they have a look of shock in the question and then fumble an answer. Trust is necessary in the church so we have to figure out a way to give people importance without the spread of gossip. And a reminder gossip isn't just what is false.
*practice God's method for conflict resolution. they did this in Raleigh and it was effective. not only did the staff work for good interpersonal relationships, they also would step in if necessary so that the church wasn't hurt.
*support your pastor and leaders. even though I don't trust them easily, I do begin a relationship with staff in a supportive and encouraging way. It is sometimes hard to imagine that I will be in the position someday. I know it is VERY tough and they can't please everyone. I will gladly support and love the pastors that lead and show God's path.
"When God has a bunch of baby believers he wants to deliver, he looks for the warmest incubator he can find." I have said I wouldn't want to put my baby in the child care area of my church. Thankfully that is going to be changing. I have also said in other ways that I wouldn't want a baby christian in my church. I pray that my heart about that changes and that the reality of it is changing.
The Question to Consider: I try to be an encouager of various people in the church so that unity is protected. I try to look for positives even when I'm not in the mood for it. I've been praying since last March that the right, strong pastor will be brought by God to lead and unite this fellowship to do the great things it is commanded to be doing.

No comments: