Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Introduction 10/10/04

HOWDY! I’ve decided that I’d do a thought process blog of my time during the 40 Day of Purpose. Some people have asked me questions of what I think about it and I really am wanting to be careful on how I discuss it. The thing I fear with this is the struggle to be honest when I know others can read it. However, I also think this may be a good thing because I may focus more on the positives. Doing this is also positive cause it makes me accountable to the readings and thoughts that are to be done during these next 40days. Many know that I kind of despise journal writing so this will also be a challenge to me. I’m looking forward to the possibilites that many seem to think can come from this time.
On Saturday, we had the get to know about this program breakfast. Alot of what was said on the DVD is what I learned/heard in various seminary classes. Of course some of it I had forgotten and more of it I had not applied. One of the things that I kept being reminded in my head is that this is NOT a program from the SBC. I’m thrilled by this for somehow it makes it more relevant in my brain then to be able to share my experiences with others. One thing that stood out to me with each of the purposes he overviewed are:
WORSHIP – “There is no such thing as Christian music.” I loved that he was bold enought to say this. I know that worship is so much more than music, but I appreciated him addressing this.
FELLOWSHIP – “I like you just not your body.” I’m a fat chick so I know when this is sad without even saying it. But this statement is saying what people really say when they claim to be a christian but not like church. I get that we have to get deeper so that people what to touch the body of christ (church). Perhaps that “personal space” will have to change. (bonus:the DVD had a snippet about sunday school value during a family miscarriage and it emotionally drove home the point more.)
DISCIPLESHIP – “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory.” 2 Cor 4:17 I forget the doozies I am faced with are to make me stronger. Christ had struggles in his life as we will also..that is how we become like him. I don’t know that I’d ever really thought of it in this way before.
MINISTRY – The only thing that stood out to me here was more in a negative way. I know that I’m not being used or I’m not offering myself according to the way God has shaped me to be. Too often I think people have their role in the church and get stuck into it and there isn’t the ease of allowing another or to bring change into that. Are couples the only ones who can read? Do I need a Y chromosome to pray? Does one have to be old to greet? Why is there so much politics in ministry? I hope my additude improves by the time we get to this section, but I also hope that some of these question I have are addressed.
EVANGELISM – This is the only one that is focused outside of the church. and as Mandi pointed out this is the only one that we don’t practice for Heaven. I’m looking forward to the Missions Fair so that I can see what values other than internationals that we give to missions. I also home that my NAMB additude will heal through these 40 days.

May the Journey of feeling and loving my purpose begin!!!!!

No comments: