Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Day 3 10/13/04

What Drives My Life? I think this one is a little odd cause I wouldn’t say that it is ever just one thing. The list that Rick Warren gives has five most common things that drive us. 1)Guilt 2)Resentment and Anger 3)Fear 4)Materialism 5)Need for approval
There are most certainly times of my life where I make a decision based on the first two. I think that when the first two don’t seem to be working for me I fall into being driven to approval. I know this chapter is still the befinning but I’m hoping this doesn’t get over simplistic in how we make the change. I know that I usually justify mysefl waiting for other side of my wrong driving force to change. While I know that it doesn’t hurt NAMB for me to be ticked with them, I tend to hope that because of it things will change. Then I also think that the guilt is sometimes seen in anger for me. Getting rid of these are important, but is rick going to give a simplistic solution?

(note: I do agree that using non-typical translations is a good thing. I’m sure it is bothering some of the more theological of you. reading the message, living bible, and contemporary english version doesn’t water it down for me...it places it more into applying it now. i’m surprised I became this way.)
Then he gives the five benefits of being driven with purpose. 1)Gives meaning to your life 2)Simplifies life 3)Focuses life 4)Motivates life 5)Prepares for eternity.I totally agree with all of these. I know the importance of the motivation really lives on in how I approach things. On a Monday FAITH visit, I wish I had remember that God wants us to serve but simply in our purpose. I think many leave from church burnout because the simplification isn’t available. I know we also leaver from lack of motivation. I don’t know that I’d ever thought about the two quesions we’d be asked when we get to heaven. I think it is interesting and important to begin to think of what I’m doing for the second question.
The Question to Consider: I don’t know what y'all would say is my driving force of my life. I would guess that many of you would have different views, so it would come from a variety of the ones offered. Perhaps we will discuss this during the 40days. Of course I want my driving force to be God. HOWEVER...if that was totally true then God would be..soo clearly I’m letting other forces drive most of the time instead. I do at least know that God still had control of my car and I know that he is the mechanic and controls the breaks.

No comments: